Eye Exams From Your Belleville, Trenton and Brighton Optometrist
The experienced team at Dr. Bruce Coward & Associates is proud to be the choice optometry office for patients in the greater Belleville, Trenton and Brighton areas. With many years of combined experience and a dedication to utilizing the most advanced treatment methods, we are happy to work with patients of all ages. Whether it’s time for your annual eye exam or you have questions about contact lenses and eye glasses, our friendly and knowledgeable team is here to help.
Comprehensive Eye Exams Offered by Our Experienced Optometrist
Our knowledgeable and skilled optometry team understands that preventative care is an important part of good healthcare. To help make sure our patients can enjoy the highest level of health and wellness, our work begins with comprehensive eye exams. With routine eye exams, we can detect common eye health conditions early on, offer a wide range of vision correction options and help prevent the spread of infection or disease.
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
During your initial appointment with our highly-trained eye doctor, we will use various computerized instruments and procedures to closely examine your eyes. Some of the tests that we will complete include:
- Measuring the eyes
- Checking for common refractive errors (including hyperopia, myopia, astigmatism, etc.)
- Mapping eye movement
- Measuring intraocular pressure
- And more
To get another look at how your eyes are functioning, we may also dilate your pupils. This part of the examination process involves a specific type of eye drop that will enlarge the pupil so that we can obtain a more detailed view of your eye. Once the eye has been dilated, we will use specialized equipment to take a look at the inner surfaces of the eye and evaluate your ocular health.
Additional Examination Steps
To make sure that we have the most accurate picture of your eye health, we will complete several other common tests, including:
- Visual Acuity Tests – This series of tests is used to measure the sharpness of your vision. By using an eye chart, we can easily measure your distance visual acuity. A smaller, hand-held acuity chart may also be used to measure your near vision.
- Color Blindness Test - This test is completed early in the examination process to rule out color blindness. Ideal for detecting hereditary color vision issues, this test can also help identify possible eye health conditions that may affect your color vision.
- Slit Lamp Exam – A biomicroscope or slit lamp is used to examine the structures of the eye under high magnification. During this exam, our optometrist will ask you to place your forehead and chin securely against the instrument before taking a closer look at your eyelids, cornea, conjunctiva, lens and iris. The slit lamp examine is also useful in detecting cataracts, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and much more.
If it is determined during your comprehensive eye health exam that you are experiencing a refractive issue, our team will recommend one or more vision correction options. Some of the most popular vision correction options include eye glasses, contact lenses, Ortho-K lenses, LASIK and more.
Depending on the severity of your vision issues, there may be certain vision correction options that you do not qualify for. However, our friendly and highly-skilled team will work with you to find a solution that fits your lifestyle needs.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Ready to discover the difference at Dr. Bruce Coward & Associates? Call (613) 457-3900 (Brighton), (613) 392-6211 (Trenton) or (613) 968-6560 (Belleview) or visit us online to schedule an appointment with our experienced eye doctor today!